.

Thursday, October 16, 2008

Road to Red Mountain - 2/3 Kona RR

Well I started the off-season/ski season about 42.1 kilometers early. It would be great to just forget the bad races, move on and not even think about them. This was a race I could put in that category but I guess we need to learn from mistakes and try and improve ourselves from all experiences. Or something like that…

Race Report: Well the swim wasn't great. It was a rough start, even treading water for 10minutes was pretty congested but when the gun went off it really got wild. I had improved my swimming this year, swimming 1:04 at IMC was a break through and I thought I would add about five minutes to that with no wet suit. Nope. I was hitting it after I found some clear water and I thought I had to be up near the front when it happened… I was passed by a brest stroker! Not even kidding. This guy would was huge, and he would breast stroke along and was moving ‘fast’, then switch to free style and drop way back, anyway bad sign. Then I run into the back of a guy who stopped to eat a power bar. Seriously, in the swim. His wrapper floated right by me. OK swim 1:13. Ouch. but time to get on the bike.
Bike was easy to find again. Here came mistake one: make up for a bad swim by riding a little above race pace. I didn’t feel good but I was sure I always feel like that starting the bike so just get going and it will come around. Mistake two: have a time goal without considering conditions. I wanted to start the run at around 6hrs into race. Although math is almost impossible when exercising I though that would mean about a 4:45ride. Things were going along fine; I was picking up wheel suckers like I had a “free ride” sign on my back. I never usually care too much but I had one German guy in a bright green race suit with compression socks, compression arm coolers, and I am sure a compression speedo under the suit that I had trouble dropping. We had a good argument at one point where I was trying to make fun of his costume and he was yelling at me in German from my back wheel. Anyway, I was starting to crack a bit from the wind and heat heading up to Hawi. I went through my first nutrition bottle way faster that usual and needed bottle two and my salt pills from special needs. I hit special needs and they couldn’t find my stuff. I even stopped and waited for a few minutes well they looked. No luck. Mistake three: I am not good at problem solving I decided to get a lot of gel at the next aid station and try to catch back up on calories. I took three or four gels and tried to get back on pace. The gels stayed down for about ten minutes and came back angry. I have puked off the bike countless times before but this was different. I had to stop and really get it all out. Anyway, long story short I tried over and over to get something in and everything was coming back, by the time I hit town I was along way down in the well. I saw my wife and pulled over to let her know I was in trouble.
T2: Made it about 20feet and had to sit down to avoid falling down. I laid down for a bit and couldn’t get moving. Done-zo.

I really, truly admire people who can go out and suffer through the hard days and get to the finish line. I have seen champions reduced to hobbling and not quit. Its honorable. I don’t think I have that drive. At home feeling great I would say I would never quit, but there and then I never even had a choice to make.
We watched my brother run a 2:59 marathon to finish up a great race, celebrated after, and went on to have a great vacation.

So, get em next time.

Thanks Trev and everyone at Speed Theory for letting me write the blog. It was a lot of fun.

*the speedo pick was taken but I might spare everyone….

Dallas

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dallas,

Tough race in which to learn all those very valuable lessons. Nasty thing about Ironman.

Crappy about the drafting. You would hope that at that level of racing people would have more respect for themselves than to draft.

Regardless of the result it is a great accomplishment to have qualified.

Happy recovering!

Paul C

Sandra Yaworski said...

Dallas,

It is always a very tough decision to say "i can't go on" in a race. It haunts for a long time after. Yes, people do sometimes finish at all costs- it is a choice. I think you made a sound decision and it does not mean you are a quitter or cannot tough things out. You did what was right for you at that moment. There are quitters in the world who never tough it out and drop almost every event they are in- I don't think that is you.

Weather conditions have huge impact on performance and time objectives. It sounds like you wanted to show an improvement in your swim, manage you bike performance and nutrition on the bike appropriately to enable a strong run. For what it is worth- process objectives enable you adapt quicker to elements and keep you head positive.

Sandra

RobWoolley said...

Hey Dallas,

I have to say a huge congrats even though it wasn't the result you wanted. It takes a great deal of persistence no matter the result or outcome.

Just like you said, get 'em next time. Thanks for contributing to the blog, it's been a great read.

Dan Sigouin said...

Dallas,

Just finished reading your post and I admire your commitment to try and problem solve and find alternatives on the course.

Sounds like you learned some good lessons on suffering. It also sounds like your ready to come for a road ride with Mr. Kenney!

Most of the racers on the Speed Team can appreciate everything you went through and we all can provide hours and hours of similar stories. It is truly amazing to have your mind battle with your body and how it can make or break you on the course.

Take it all in stride and use it to grow, you'll need it for next year when you give up on this triathlon stuff and come do the real race with us- Trans Rockies!

Take care

Dan

Full Calendar