.

Thursday, September 11, 2008

Late-winter tri, anybody?

I was thinking a late-winter triathlon would make for some good motivation for winter training. I mentioned this to some other lads and seems like other people were thinking the same thing (turns out I'm not that original). Anyone else want the motivation of getting dunked and spun out to dry to get them working over winter?

The other question is which tri. I figured it's so damn nice in southern Cali year-round, they'd have a tri every other weekend. No, they just have higher standards for nice weather. I did however, find the California 70.3, happening on April 4th. It's a bit closer to the cycling season than I would have liked, but hey, I'm not looking to win the thing. I figure we do a bit of swimming, the odd run, and the cycling takes care of itself with pre-season training. How hard can it be??

Post a comment if you're interested.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very tempting. Compared to our local late winter tri - Mount Royal College Sprint, the loose gravel, ice, cold wind. The only thing in common is salt water.

RobWoolley said...

I fear Lockie has turned to the dark side!

You guys are crazy, I will stick to hockey.

Trev said...

I think Rod will be all over this.

Kyle said...

I won't be able to race it this year but I have done the Cali half in the past. It's a great race.

Oceanside is a nice area. I'd be happy to fill you in on course details, where to stay, etc.

Flying into San Diego is a bit of a pain as there is no direct flights from Calgary. It's almost better to fly direct to LA and rent a car.

Anonymous said...

I hope you mean a different Rod, however if Lockie is a triathlete in hiding that would explain all the crashing.

Rod M.

RobWoolley said...

Oh SNAP! Lockie gets served ;-)

I was planning on prepping for Kyle's Beer Mile Series. It's pretty hardcore . . .

gnicholson said...

Another flying option is Westjet to Palm Springs. The drive is only about 40km longer, but avoids the nasty LA traffic.

Unknown said...

Never fear, I doubt I'm going to be keen to do another tri after doing 1.5km of breaststroke at Oceanside...

Rod, I sink like a stone in the water. Good swimmers usually have a BMI more like you, don't they? ;)

Unknown said...

What's going on in Palm Springs?

RobWoolley said...

Point Lockie!

yeah man, I have to fire up JennyCraig this winter my bloat is outta control!

Full Calendar