Thursday, June 4, 2009

The damn f***'n weather.

Andy Holmwood (our chief commisaire) just sent an email to the other commisaires saying that due to the nature of the race (short, and not mass start) we will only be cancelling unless the roads are deemed unsafe to ride. I can't believe this forecast, it is making me feel defeated after all this work Thomas, Alex, me and a bunch of volunteers have put into the event. Let's all follow Marilyn's lead and close our eyes tight and use our internal energy to ensure a good day.

So as of now, we will only cancel if it is unsafe. Cold is no problem, rain is not really a problem unless it is 2 degrees and storming sideways or something. Snow or freezing rain is a problem.

We will keep you posted.

(The F-Bomb was included in the title so Frank and Rob would think I was cool)

20 comments:

Tom K said...

Hot Sunny Weather, Hot Sunny Weather, Hot sunny Weather...

say it with me:

Hot Sunny Weather, Hot Sunny Weather....

Thomas said...

I don't know what weather forecast you guys are looking at, but the one I'm looking at calls for sunny skys with some cloud cover a high of 19.24 degrees and dryer than a popcorn fart. Not to mention a tail wind heading north and south...so weird, oh wait maybe that's the popcorn fart?

Darcy G said...

We're in Calgary, Thomas, not Victoria, BC...

RobLukacs said...

Trev you're cool

Steve P said...

At least it will keep the bugs away.

(OK, thinking on the bright side is NOT working here)

alejandro H said...

Whether we race or not, all the hard work you guys have done is much appreciated!

Maybe we should all go to the SHIP N ANCHOR and wait out the storm...we could still wear our speed theory kits?!

Steve P said...

alejandro - we should do that afterwards!

Scott G-C said...

If you ride fast enough the rain can't touch you.

I think I saw that on MythBusters/

jmeakin said...

I have to be at work by Noon or so. Is there any chance of starting by 10:30 if I'm in Cat 5?

jmeakin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Trev said...

You can make a request in the notes on Karelo and I can ask Carol to start you early with the Citizen Class or something.

As of right now, there are 130 registered though, so if you race in Cat5 I can almost guarantee the answer to be no, but we should be able to arrange something, I wouldn't want people to not be able to race. Write in the notes of the Karelo .. NEED TO START BEFORE 10:30 and we should catch it. Also, call me if the start list comes out on Friday night and your start time is later, and we'll slot you in somewhere earlier.

Trev

Trev

Matt Mackay said...

5 degrees!! rain/snow mix!! come on, really. when will we know if its getting canceled? any chance we will we be able to reschedule it if it does?

Clarke E said...

Yeah this blows. It's probably not possible, but Sunday looks much better.

jmeakin said...

Thanks Trev!

Ryan said...

Rain...slightly above freezing temperatures...wind...locusts...rivers of fire...whatever- BRING IT!

Get into this guys! Start banging your heads together. You're not here to whine. You're not here to make excuses. You're here to REPRESENT! Let's head this weather crap off at the pass and GIVER!

I expect nothing less than the 130 riders showing up Saturday morning with their ITT faces on, staring down every drop of rain that falls from the sky.

WE'RE THERE!!!

Scott G-C said...

Registered and Ready to Race.

Scott

Thomas said...

Exactly!

When did you ever have Braveheart style epic battle stories from a sunny day ITT.

You say "This is madness"

I say "THIIIS IS SPAAARTAAAAA!!!"

Whoops I mean: "SPEEED THEEEORY!!!"


I get to go out to Canmore on Sunday and Race in the snow too!

Man I got to paint on some abs or something!

Darcy G said...

What's currently listed on Environment Canada's forecast:

Saturday: Cloudy with sunny periods and 60 percent chance of showers. Wind becoming northeast 20 km/h late in the day. High 9.

Hey, that's better than what it was. It can't be any worse than the 2006 Road Provincials. THAT was cold.

Anyone out there remember last year's 24 Hours of Adrenalin? If one can survive that, a 30 km ITT on closed roads is nothing...

Scott G-C said...

See this is why all that bad weather in the spring happened, that was just the cycling Gods just making sure we where ready for this weekend. All those other teams that where hiding while we where riding, aren't going to ready for this weather.

Dennis said...

The weather is certainly better in Zurich right now... sorry I couldn't be there for the race though :(

Full Calendar