.

Wednesday, April 1, 2009

CAT 4/5/women peloton/pace-line riding information session NEW UPDATE!

UPDATE as of this April 2nd morning:
Update: Ok we are going to scrap the skills on Friday. There is nowhere safe or without snow to properly run them. If we can head out Saturday we will incorporate them into the start of the ride. We will cover off a little theory, strategize on how to get Rob a girlfriend then socialize. Bring beer, wine or whatever your poison. See everyone Friday at 6:30
Stephen

When: Friday April 3


Where: TBD (based on how many people show interest)

Format: We will spend approximately an hour in a discussion format base-lining everyone on the basics of doing training rides with groups. After the lecture style stuff, weather permitting, we will head to a local soccer field and do a half hour of slow skills that will get you comfortable riding close to other riders. You will therefore need to come to the session with your bikes and be ready to ride. Everyone will be asked to show their ABA license to demonstrate that you have insurance. If you can’t demonstrate this you won’t be able to do the skills. We will touch on the race stuff a little but that will be for a different session and with someone that has way more race experience than I do.

Who should come: Anyone who has not had experience riding in groups. This includes all you fast dudes from other athletic disciplines.

By April third everyone should have suffered through the Retreat Road Rumble TT and we will have divided people up into training groups. Remember its early season so don’t get hung up on what group you’re in. If you can’t get to the official ride go out and do it on your own and send the data to Trev.
We will then head out on Saturday April 4 in our designated groups to practice our group riding. These will not be physical training rides but rides to practice our skills on how to ride safely in a group. If you can’t do these things at a slower speed then you will be a hazard at higher speeds.
Lastly we will need volunteers from the CAT 1/2/3 groups to lead the Saturday rides. If possible you should come to the Friday session to add your expertise to the discussion and to ensure we are all singing from the same song sheet.

Let me know if you’re interested via the Blog. I will keep update accordingly.
Stephen



Stephen
Address is
32 Rosery Pl NW; phone 403-282-2108


31 comments:

Trev said...

I should be able to make it. I will be able to contribute all the Jens Voigt suicidal attacking advice! Just watched him in Stage 6 of Paris-Nice this morning and he re-affirmed that he is my favorite rider once again!

Aimers said...

I am in and excited. I am currently working at 4pm both the 3rd and 4th so if it is earlier that that awesome, if not I will just need a bit of notice so I can take a few hours off. Thanks for organizing this, I am excited to meet more people and get out and ride with a group.
Amy

Scott G-C said...

Jens Voigt is the man.

Clarke E said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Clarke E said...

Sounds awesome, I'm in as well.

Rui said...

Sounds great Stephen. Thanks for taking the time to do this for us.

Mark said...

Good stuff ... count me in. Thanks Stephen.

RobWoolley said...

I'm in.

Dan Sigouin said...

Stephen,

Sounds excellent. I am in a course friday night and saturday till 4:00pm. I am pretty much guaranteeing that I am going to miss what you guys are planning. Don't forget me though.

I like Jens too, he is my kind of rider. I bet he is a big Slayer fan.

Dan

Steve P said...

Great idea; i'm in!

Anonymous said...

Hi Stephen,

thank you for providing this opportunity!

I would like to attend if the info session were to begin anytime after 6pm (perhaps slightly earlier) depending on location.

thank you,

Andrew Wolaniuk

roblukacs said...

If Dan goes I will.

roblukacs said...

Even if Dan doesn't go, I'll go (just read his post)

CDF said...

Definitely in ... for anything that isn't on rollers in my basement ...

Cheers,

CDF

David said...

I'll be there if the weather is good.

Keith Bayly said...

I'd like to attend and offer any help I can.

Stephen Kenny said...

I count 12 Speed Theory participants and there will be a couple of Rando guys so we will meet for the theory stuff at my place Friday April 3rd at 6:30 PM. Weather permitting we will at least head to a good sized parking lot to practice a few skills. It’s great a few veterans are coming to add their experience to the session. We want to start at 6:30PM sharp to have light for the skills. We should be all done by 8:00pm

Stephen
Address is 32 Rosery Pl NW; phone 403-282-2108

http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=32+Rosery+Pl+NW,+Calgary,+AB,+Canada&sll=51.055149,-114.062438&sspn=0.430739,1.230469&ie=UTF8&ll=51.080018,-114.090271&spn=0.053814,0.153809&z=13

Matt Mackay said...

i'm in too stephen, thanks!

Anonymous said...

Hi Stephen,
I'm hoping to come, too. Just don't know if I can swing it yet.
Diana :-)

Scott G-C said...

I am hoping to be there for some of this, but it is my daughter's birthday on Friday, and I am heading to Ontario on Saturday night.

AlanO said...

Sounds great. I'm in.

Unknown said...

I'll be out of town Wed 1st to morning of Mon 6th. Have fun, y'all!

Anonymous said...

I should be there. I'll see who from the garage can make it.

Tom

Anonymous said...

I'll see you there guys!!! I'm guessing my mtb pacelining doesn't stand me in good stead for this real road racing business!!!
Simon!!

Darcy G said...

I should be there.

Stephen Kenny said...

Update: Ok we are going to scrap the skills on Friday. There is nowhere safe or without snow to properly run them. If we can head out Saturday we will incorporate them into the start of the ride. We will cover off a little theory, strategize on how to get Rob a girlfriend then socialize. Bring beer, wine or whatever your poison. See everyone Friday at 6:30
Stephen

Dallas said...

i just had to get some details straight but I can make it too.
cheers

Slayer Dan said...

I'm really looking forward to the meeting.

It's hard to believe that part of the focus is to get the most handsome man in cycling a date though.

Maybe I'll give the medal girls his phone number after they hand me all my medals at the races!!!

;)

Slayer Dan

Aimers said...

I am not gonna be able to sneak away from work tonight. Is there anyway someone can email the tips that you talk about tonight?
I will also be away this weekend riding hills in Nelson (cause that is all there is!) but hope the weather is good next weekend to get out!
Amy

Anonymous said...

Hi Stephen,

not gonna make it tonight since we are not riding got to attend my wife's work event ..

I will check the blog out for possible rides for Sunday.

thanx again

Andrew

Mark said...

Hey Steve! (and the rest of the crew) I am opting out of this evening's festivities as I need to get some rest. I have been fighting some sort of illness for the last week and I am drained.

See you all on the road soon!

Full Calendar